Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Ocean State

Today, I made it to little Rhody. I stopped this morning in Lexington and Concord. Being a student of language, I love hearing the New England accent. The park ranger on the trail had an exquisite example. Hearing him discuss the Nomah trade (which apparently, they're still talking about) was like music to my ears.
Anyways, New Englanders are hyper patriotic. Gosh, there is red, white, and blue everywhere. In fact, the center lines of the town I'm in are red, white, and blue stripes, no double yellow for them. Apparently, Kiwi tells me, this town has the oldest 4th of July parade in the nation (possibly the world--his joke, not mine) and is quite proud of it.
Also, on the expressways in MA and RI, there are American flags, and divisional symbols for military groups in Iraq. Also, you know how there are bums in most places who have little signs saying, "Vietnam Vet, please help." Well, I haven't seen any of these in New England, but I have seen two indigent Veteran's homes. Apparently liberals treat soldiers with more respect than some others do.
Lexington and Concord are a great example of myth. I tell my students that history are stories that are reported to be actual occurrences, whereas myths are stories that have a meaning for the hearer or reader. Following these definitions, myth and history are alive and well here in New England. I heard several recordings waxing eloquent about the "American Revolution" and "liberty." Liberty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but apparently is well represented here in monumental format.
From Boston, I proceeded to Providence, where I visited the Museum of the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD, pronounced RIZ-dee). The Museum is extremely well-curated, especially its pre-modern art collections, and presented in a thoughtful artistic and historical manner. The Museum begged the question, "How would you as a viewer artistically respond to these works?" Anyways, I was terribly impressed.
Thence I went to the RI state house, which was quite majestic, and I headed over to Sue and Kiwi's, on whose computer I am typing this.
Sue and Kiwi are great. We had a few drinks and then headed out to a bah, wheh we had mah drinks and some good pub food. I had some great chowdah, but the poht pie was not prepared correctly, so the waitress offered me anotheh choice. I had an Irish burgeh instead. Anyways, Sue and Kiwi are great, and I'm about ready to crash for tonight.
It's the Big Apple tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home